The corner beads in drywalls can get damaged often. The chip may be small but has to be repaired immediately to prevent it from spreading further. If you are living in a rented property, the house owner may adjust your deposit in full for this minor blemish. If you call in an agency to the repair, they will charge you a bomb. The ideal way for you is to learn how to repair a damaged drywall corner and save dollars. It is a simple task and does not consume much time either. You should have the tools and the inputs needed to do the job and a little bit of an inclination from your side.
Things Needed to Repair Drywall Corner
You will need the following simple tools and other items to carry out the drywall corner repair:
- Tape measure and pencil
- Drywall knives, 4-inch and 6-inch
- Sandpaper 80 grit and 120 grit
- Joint compound
- Corner bead (metal or vinyl)
- Paint & brush
You will need a waste cloth to clean the surface and water. The joint compound should be easily available at your nearest hardware or paint supplies store.
The Step by Step Process of Repairing Drywall Corner
- You will first measure and mark the area where the drywall has been damaged and the measuring tape and pencil can be used for this purpose.
- Now, use the knife to scrape the portion of the corner wall until you reach the corner bead. It could be metal or vinyl. Metal screws are usually screwed to the wall while vinyl beads will be secured with tape. You must carefully remove the bead from the portion you are repairing of the drywall.
- Replace the corner bead with a new supply. The same process is to be followed; if it is a vinyl, tape it and if it is metal, fasten with screws.
- You must now apply the joint compound using the 4-inch drywall knife. You can be liberal while applying the compound since it tends to shrink as it dries.
- You need not fret about getting its perfect in the corners.
- You will need to let it dry for 12 hours.
- Once dried, you can use the sandpaper to even out the surface.
- You can apply another coat of the joint compound; this time, make it thinner using a smaller drywall knife.
- This will dry in just around 2 hours.
- You should now use the softer 120 grit sandpaper to further smoothen the surface
- Your drywall corner stands repaired.
- Lastly, paint the portion to match with the rest of the wall and the naked eye may not notice that repair has been carried out.
Note: You must clean the surface after using the sandpaper to remove the dust. You can use a mildly damp cloth for it and not splash water all over.
If you had called in an agency specializing in Drywall repair in Washington DC, they would have done this same thing and charged you for it. You have not only saved the dollars, but you have learned a new skill and you will feel motivated to do similar activities around the house on your own. This is a healthy practice and not everyone gets the opportunity.